“But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.” James 3:17
Godly wisdom is demonstrated in a life surrendered to God. This person does not have to boast about how wise they are, all will see it lived out in front of them. James earlier told us that anyone who was religious but didn’t keep a tight rein on their tongue, their religion was worthless.
To be a Christian is more than saying we are a Christian, we must prove it by the life we live. James outlines how this is done. He says in 3:13 that our good conduct, our works, will be evidenced by seven traits found in verse 17.
1. Pure—The word means clean or innocent. This is the wisdom that accomplishes good works with no false motives involved. It is a person whose life is a testimony of pure character and honesty before God.
2. Peaceable—This doesn’t mean a push-over. It is someone who strives to be at peace. One who remains calm under stress and has let go of anxiety.
3. Gentle—a person who is mild-mannered and patient.
4. Willing to Yield—This is not one who is easily persuaded, but one who can listen to all sides and is willing to do the right thing even if it isn’t their idea. They have a teachable spirit.
5. Full of Mercy and Good fruits—Their life is a life of compassion and honesty. They are known for their forgiving spirit and their impeccable character.
6. Without partiality—They do not take sides or involve themselves in frivolous arguments. They seek to be peacemakers.
7. Without hypocrisy—They are genuine. What you see is what you get. They will not tell one person one thing and another something else.
This is how our conduct is supposed to be. We are to demonstrate these traits in our daily conversation. Our daily conduct should resemble Godliness. It’s not that we can’t do this. It’s that we too often fail to be filled with His wisdom.
Why not choose today to let His wisdom be ours?
Keep Looking Up!
You can leave a comment on our Facebook page.